Sunday, November 11, 2012

Santa Barbara Half Marathon

Yesterday I ran my first half marathon! I needed something to motivate myself post pregnancy to get in shape again so I found a "Half Marathon for Beginners" training schedule online, stuck to it for 12 weeks, and signed up for the half marathon in Santa Barbara. A couple things I learned:
1. If you wear a BYU sweatshirt anywhere you're bound to meet another Mormon and find out they know someone you know too. (Happened before the race.)
2. Santa Barbara is gorgeous.
3. Apparently I am a much better racer than trainer. I was a lot faster than I expected to be. Based on how fast I ran by myself while training, my goal was about 2 1/2 hours. Throw in the pressure of an actual race and plenty of other racers to fuel my Hamilton competitiveness and the result is..... (wait for it....) 2:12:44. Woohoo! I was so excited. :)

Taylor, Will, and my parents all came up to be my cheer squad and Taylor was my personal photographer for the last mile or so. Today he kept complaining that his calves were sore from trying to run ahead of me to take pictures. (Meanwhile, I've been hobbling around like an old lady I'm so sore.)
Since it was Veteran's Day they had flags lining the last mile of the course (they even handed us mini flags to hold for the last mile) and there were also several veterans cheering us on. In spite of all my aches and pains it was a very inspirational and motivating way to end the race.
(It also didn't hurt that I had an awesome view of the beach and the ocean for the last two miles that also happened to be downhill.)
All done!
I almost got a little choked up when they handed me my medal. I know that may sound a little ridiculous but it's the first medal I've ever gotten. Ever. Sure, it was just a participation medal but I've never even gotten one of those. In middle school and high school I was really dedicated and worked really hard but hey, I just wasn't very fast in running or swimming. I did get the "Sportsmanship Award" at the end of the season a few times, but I never got a medal. And now I have one! And I wore it all day.
 My number one fans.
After dropping me off before the race, Taylor and Will went to IHOP for breakfast and drove up in the mountains to check out the view before going back to the course to cheer. It was such a beautiful day.
After the race we went to lunch with my mom and dad on Santa Claus Lane in Carpinteria. We went to this burger place by the beach and it was sooo yummy! Will had a little accident (diaper leak) while my dad was holding him (our cue that it was time to leave haha) but after changing him and feeding him a bottle the poor little guy was all tuckered out. He napped before both me and Taylor and gave himself an awesome hairstyle in the process.
I'd take getting out of shape from pregnancy and having to work really hard to get my body back any time if it means getting to spend every day with this little boy!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Heather, I agree Santa Barbara and Carpinteria are beautiful areas. We used to camp there with little Taylor, Ha Ha. Love you all, see ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so much fun being there and watching you! You were amazing! Very very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete