Friday, September 9, 2016

Meeting Luke: Part Two

Over the next few weeks after Luke's birth, we were visited by lots of family. I pretty much had 3 straight weeks without being left on my own with all 3 kids. And it was such a big help. Although my physical recovery after delivery was relatively smooth and quick (I wasn't very sore this time), I was so much more tired than I remember being after my other deliveries. It must have been the fact that in addition to the new baby I still had two other kids to think about. Thankfully, mostly due to visiting grandparents, I was able to survive (and nap) and the older kids got lots of attention and love.

Taylor's dad and stepmom came to visit the day we got home from the hospital. They even watched the kids while Taylor came to take Luke and me home. Theirs was a short trip but they still managed to fit in taking the kids to the driving range, Wood Ranch, and Fosters Doughnuts.
Three generations of Moss boys.

Since I had my camera out, I also took a couple pictures of Emma, Luke, and Taylor right after they left. (Because why not?)


My parents were next. Even though they live in Africa they thankfully were stateside for the month of July! After spending a couple weeks doing a church history tour with my sister Michelle and brother Ryan's families and going to a family reunion with all my siblings in North Carolina (the week that Luke was born), they came and spent about 5 days with us before visiting my sister Brooke and making their way back to Africa. Although we were sad to have to miss the family reunion, we were really lucky that the timing worked out for my parents to visit so soon after Luke was born. My mom did a lot to help out and as a tired new mom of three it was nice to have her there. Will and Emma especially loved it. They got to go to the beach and the park and they LOVED looking at pictures of all the safari animals on Grandma's iPad. 

After my parents left, Taylor's mom, stepdad, and brother Evan came to stay with us. Emma got her nails painted by Grandma (she had been asking her to bring her nail polish for weeks), Will always had a buddy to play his matching game or do puzzles with, and I (again) was able to nap while someone held the baby for me.

And then everyone left and we were left with just our new little family.

When everyone finally left, I was torn between relief at things going back to normal (or at least, the new normal of three kids) and missing everyone. I was so grateful to have so much help the first few weeks and that made the transition to three kids so much easier than I expected it to be. Sometimes I take it for granted how blessed our family is. To have three beautiful, healthy kids. To have extended family who loves us. To be part of a wonderful church and neighborhood where people are so happy and willing to serve, to bring dinner, to babysit, or even just to ask how I'm doing. Having a baby is really a hard thing--pregnancy is hard and stressful, postpartum is physically and emotionally demanding, and then raising a child (or three now!) is something that I'm still learning how to do well--and I probably couldn't do any of it without all the help I get from Taylor (especially you), my family, and my friends. So if I haven't already told you so, thank you for helping me survive baby number three!

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing mother of three! Thank you for being such a great daughter and all that you do for everyone!

    ReplyDelete