Back in November, Emma turned one! I can't believe my baby girl is growing up so fast. I just visited a friend who had a baby on Saturday and I remember them bringing us dinner a couple days after I had Emma. Call me cliché but I remember it like it was yesterday... and it was really almost 14 months ago! We are so blessed to have this sweet, curious, funny girl in our lives.
On her birthday I planned to make homemade chicken noodle soup (because the last time I made it the kids ate more food than I'd ever seen them eat) and chocolate bundt cake. With just the four of us we were going to eat dinner, do the cake smash, and it was going to be simple but perfect.
Wrong.
On Emma's birthday, I didn't get to the store to get ingredients for the special dinner and dessert until after the kids' afternoon naps. By the time I got home I was a little frazzled but ready to bust out a cake and dinner. I made the cake batter, threw it in the oven, Taylor got home, Emma was crying, Will was hungry... so we had pasta instead. Then Emma lost it, I tried to get some pictures, got this:
...And we put her to bed. Happy Birthday, Emma. We ate cake without you.
The next day: Emma's First Birthday Take Two
The day after Emma's birthday was much more successful. The cake was already made, I had all the ingredients to make dinner, and everyone was just a lot happier. I even managed to get dinner started before the kids woke up from their naps. We ate the yummy chicken noodle soup that I had envisioned with happy, eager-to-eat children and then we brought out the cake (again). Emma knew exactly what to do.
She saw her piece of cake coming and got excited (despite what her face shows--she always gets excited when we bring food to her high chair).
Then she picked it up and shoved the whole thing in her mouth.
She liked it.
And was disappointed when it was gone.
Will was much more excited about Emma's birthday than she was. He got cake two nights in a row and he made us all sing "Happy Birthday" to him, too.
We love our Emma!








Emma reminds me so much of you when you were little. She is adorable even when she has a breakdown. Love her! You are such a great mom. It is the full time plus job which you have no control over but somehow everything works out!
ReplyDelete